Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 01-18-2024, 05:27 PM   #1

new here hope in right place asking for any advice

Hello new to the forums. Tired of paying to get scooters fixed to starting to learn how to fix them myself. i have a 2021 maybe 2022 ice bear vision i believe it is. 150cc. i bought it 2nd had looks great had a lot of after market stuff on it. ran great for the first week no problem then it rained then the temperature dropped below 10 degrees a few days later. after that i have had been trouble starting it. At first thought maybe it was the battery but charged it. all electrical works fine and it has a voltmeter on it even says its at 14 volts most of time unless i kill it trying to start it. i hook it up to a battery booster if it takes more than 5 mins to start. Now when i try to start it ,sometimes it sounds like it will about to start for 1 or 2 seconds then makes like a whining air noise and even gets to a grinding noise. trying to figure out what happened if maybe cold weather got something frozen inside somehow or clogged it. but after about 5 to 10 mins of not holding the electrical starter i kind of do quick bursts of it I'm lucky it starts. it runs and idles fine after that. i find that using starter fluid seems to help a bit i believe or could just be in my mind. it will usually start if I'm just running in to a store for 20 or 30 mins maybe an hour if I'm lucky but after that the problem starts all over again. Any suggesting on what it could be? i cant get the kickstart to work either. i will try to get a video and post it on here also. i keep starter fluid and a portable jump starter with me at all times if i go somewhere mostly to work. i don't believe he sold me a lemon he still answers any questions i have but i Dunno if the rain/cold combo of that week maybe froze something. but any suggestions would be nice thanks. I'm hoping maybe once it warms up it will fix itself but doubt it happens. don't know much about where everything is at on moped but I'm assuming where the kickstart is, is the part with any gears that could cause that griding noise. thought about take a pick in there but not sure i could get it back together again scared i might make it worse. thanks for any advice sorry for long explanation. worst case scenario my local scooter repair place opens back up in a month but trying to avoid paying more if its something simple plus wouldn't mind learning how to do more that change batteries and oil lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2024, 09:41 PM   #2

It sounds like a choke issue to me. It could be the following:
Faulty choke circuit on the carb.
Corrosion jamming up the choke plunger.
I'm assuming this scooter has a carb.

I sold a Hyosung 2-stroke to a co-worker and he shorted me $50 so I offered to void the 90 day warranty instead of him paying me the other $50, and he agreed. He would kick start this scooter like 75 times before it would start! We called it the the "Kick-A-Palooza" and would watch him kick start it from our warm cars after work. One day someone told him to hold the throttle wide open while kick starting it and it fired right up. So try to hold the throttle wide open when starting your scooter. If it starts it's a problem in the choke circuit.

I had a Yamaha Zuma 125 and it wouldn't start when it dropped below 40ish degrees. Being a EFI system I just traded it for something different. Turns out the wire loom under the floorboard wasn't "loomed" and the bare wires ran over a sharp weld, grounding out the wires that activated the enricher circuit for cold weather. I no longer buy Yamaha products.

Finally, are the valves adjusted? Tight valves can cause hard starts.