Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 07-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

150cc gy6 troubleshooting

Hello everyone, newly registered here, thought I'd start off with a problem I'm having.

I had a nice Genuine Buddy 125 as a daily driver that was unfortunately stolen. Not much progress in recovering it, so i scrounge up a few bucks and bought a chinese 150cc with a gy6 off of facebook (hindsight is 20/20) and after about 40 miles the thing crapped out on me. Motor locked up, wouldn't spin at all.

I work for a towing company so I was able to flatbed it back home.

After the flatbed ride, I can get the thing to turn over and run but it makes a horrible noise that I cannot identify, and I was hoping I could get some insight on what's going on with it. I'm mechanically inclined enough to replace whatever needs to be replaced but I'm not experienced enough with them to diagnose it. Money is tight, which is why i bought this thing in the first place, so I'd like to replace a part or two rather than the whole motor. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards crankshaft bearing but I have bad ears (partially deaf).

Here's a video of it starting up and running for a bit:

I appreciate any and all insights. Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

Sounds like it might have ran out of oil. Before I would do anything, I would check the oil, then pull the cvt cover off and look in there just to be safe.

If you decide to 'repair' the engine, instead buy a good used engine. There are always 150cc engines available used since many people abandon them @ repair shops and no title, so the engines get sold to cover shop cost
Old 07-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

It has oil in it, that was the first thing I checked. Would a bad variator show symptoms like that?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

anything is possible, that is why i would look. you would feel pretty silly, if you bought an engine and when you went to transfer parts there was a simple problem / fix-- wouldn't you?

a while back, someone on another forum had what they thought was an engine seized, until they pulled the fan cover and found a spark plug lodged between the stator drum and the engine case.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #5

i've done bit more reading, and i suppose i could start by pulling the variator off and see whats going on. i've read that sometimes the rollers can come loose and bounce around inside there...guess i know what tomorrow's project is gonna be, haha.