Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 11-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Changed CDI, Coil, Stator, Sparkplug now it tries to start but ...

Hello I'm Ernst

I own a Super Bee 150cc scooter with the GY6. Recently I had the bike die and it wouldn't start so I learned how to trouble shoot the Stator, Coil, CDI and spark plug to find the problem. Stator Volatage was 3 to 13VAC so there it was, Now that I have replaced the Stator I see 0.1VAC Trigger, 100VAC at the Coil and the engine cranks but it seems to "hit" like it will start on the first crank after I push the start button but not after. A couple of times while cranking it it almost started twice but didn't. I get backfire so I assume The plug is firing.

In my mind it seems like it would be a Timing issue. So I sure can use some advice on what to check.

I had no issues before it simply shut off and I ended up replacing the Stator, coil, cdi and plug.

Any ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

I have decided to order a second CDI. The reason for this is that I was following a troubleshooting guide and it had me pull one wire one the CDI and ground another. The idea was that I would by pass the kill switch. I noticed once I did that, that the kill switch still worked so I assume the guide may have not been the correct thing for my scooter. On the odd chance that what I did damaged the CDI in some way I feel having a second and possibly a spare CDI is reasonable troubleshooting.

If you reader are looking for posts on troubleshooting the electrical then I can say I have learned enough that it is reasonable to use a multimeter and check voltages on the Stator, CDI and Coil.
Once you know this then the hardest thing is pulling the flywheel and replacing the Stator.

I found that my stator voltage was 3 to 13 VAC when it should have been 100VAC so that was a bad part.

To change the Stator I ended up buying a flywheel puller tool and a special wrench that goes into the holes on the flywheel so it doesn't turn when we are trying to get the flywheel off.

Now I suggest a 1/2 inch drive long handle ratchet or you can use an impact tool.

I'll continue to troubleshoot and once I figure out this next problem I may come back and document what I did if there is any interest here.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

Well I did it! Got the Stator changed out and it runs now! Cool

I learned how to troubleshoot the electric from the Stator to the Coil. Now I will know in just a few minutes where the trouble is next time.

What I ended up doing was change the the CDI, Coil and Stator. I bought a special wrench to hold the flywheel still while I took the flywheel off and also bought a flywheel puller.

So If you are reading this and have never changed out a Stator before I really recommend the flywheel tool. There is really no easy way to break that nut if you can't hold the flywheel still.

I had a bit of anxiety when I started to work on the scooter but now feel comfortable with this aspect at least.

Next on the list is to take the carburettor apart and clean it. That will be a challenge.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

In your first post you said that stator,coil, cdi, and plug where replaced....but scooter wouldn't start. So, was it the second cdi that got it going?

Carb will be a piece of cake....no special tools needed. I haven't had to touch my carb since installing it and a K&N filter, two and a half years ago...attribute this to using non ethanol gas only.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Well there is no point in not telling the truth. I didn't know the CDI I had ordered was a DC unit when I needed an AC. Having misplaced the old unit I didn't realize the DC was much larger.

I learned the hard way that some retailers do not make things clear on what they are selling.

So for all those reading and learning, the DC unit is pin for pin identical but it is much larger.

There are two kinds of Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) units with the most common being an AC alternating current version but some use a Direct Current type (DC)

So my mistake was to buy the wrong one. Be careful what unit you buy because there are several types from what I see.

On the Carb then. I take it I shouldn't fear cleaning it. I saw a video on taking one apart so I hope that will be a good guide.

My problem there is it won't idle until warm now. Also the RPM's are not looking right for idle now it's lower than when new. Would this mean I should clean or adjust the idle?

Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #6

far as the carb goes get on amazon and order a new 1. what i did with mine and straight out of the box it worked. 19.99 free shipping. took 3 days to arrive

Tags
backfiring, starting problem