Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

What a wonderful day

So today I figured I'd change my oil, tune my carb, install a trail tech tach and fix my broken speedo cable on my taotao atm-50. Well I install the tach change oil gear and motor. I have a 139qmb VIP parts scooter that I asumed used the same style speedo cable...guess not scratch the cable I'll fix it this weekend. So I got my oils changed tach installed started my scooter and it wouldn't move when I turn the throttle hmmm? hit the kill switch start it again same thing. OK by now I'm pretty pissed off set the scooter on the center stand start it and give it some gas (watching the rpms) rpms climb around 6xxx. I hear a weird grinding sound coming from the CVT case. I take the cover off and my variator was mangled the glide keys and large chunks of aluminum were sitting at the bottom of the case. I look at the kick start gear and spring the gear had some grind marks and the spring seemed floppy. I put on a variator I had sitting around put the cover back on kick start my scooter and it still grinds sooo I'm guessing its the spring. The kick start lever feels extra wobbly and when I wiggle it with it running I hear grinding. WTF sorry for the long boring post just needed to vent a little

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

(Cheepo DLH variator I think I paid 20$) I think its a Nakuru knock off or something it came with 3 5g rollers 3 7g and 3 8g no clue why it came with 3 of each. ^ I know rpms did not go over 7000 wile reving on the center stand. So idk what happend?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

I don't know how much you know about the kick starters but if that spring isn't in the slot its going to stick out and when your variator spins its going to grind on the kick starter gear.

Login or Register to Remove Ads