Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

49cc - starts and dies

I'm really getting tired of recharging my battery while troubleshooting this.

My Taotao will start, appear to come down to normal idle rpm, then die. I think I've found the problem, but need some help.

Coming off the petcock there are two lines. One should go to the intake manifold, and one goes to the carb. Which is which?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

if you are still having issues inbox me and I will send you pictures with a detailed explanation
Old 03-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #3

Actually, I found a youtube video that helped with that. The prior owner had swapped the intake manifold line with the output fuel line. This meant that when he could force fuel through the petcock it was going directly into the crankcase. (I've already changed the oil.)

The new problem just happened about 15 min ago. I have been fighting some carb issues, and just got the air/fuel mix to behave (about 5.5 turns out). I was riding up the the corner store when I got a loud clang and lost all power. Given the issues with fuel in the oil, I'm hoping for just a blown seal. There is no dripping anywhere, and no fuel in the oil. When I try to turn the engine over, I hear the starter motor but nothing else. Any suggestions?
(more for the future)

Login or Register to Remove Ads