Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #1

Brake cam and lever - spring

Can someone please explain to me, like I'm a six-year-old, where that spring goes and what actions I should take while re-inserting the cam? I've Googled like crazy and come up empty.

http://standardfunctions.com/store/i...176/image/441/

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #2

This is a little different but maybe this will help

2010 Cpi Oliver 70cc, naruku trans kit, downhill handle bars, tecnigas rsll pipe, s6 4g rollers, Vento R4 with 90cc 1e52qmf technigas next r 100cc pipe Naruku, 21mm race carb, s6 4.5 g rollers
Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

here is some picture on how it will look on the scooter and the spring should push back against the lever to release pressure off the brake pads 614761971_tp.jpg

614761906_o.jpg

2010 Cpi Oliver 70cc, naruku trans kit, downhill handle bars, tecnigas rsll pipe, s6 4g rollers, Vento R4 with 90cc 1e52qmf technigas next r 100cc pipe Naruku, 21mm race carb, s6 4.5 g rollers

Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

I had found similar photos and kind of understand what you're saying as far as what the spring should do. I was following Haynes Chinese Scooters which reads "...remove the brake arm clamp bolt and pull the brake cam out of the backplate or casing." I did so and the spring came flying out of "nowhere" and now I'm trying to figure out where exactly it's supposed to be positioned. The manual makes no mention of it and on the one GY6 "changing brake shoes" video that I found on YouTube, the guy totally skips that step, though he covers everything else in pretty good detail ( ). I'm going to continue to try to figure it out now that I've had some sleep, keeping in mind what you said concerning what the spring is supposed to do. Thanks a bunch.

I should have caught on when the manual, which rates tasks on a five-wrench scale for difficulty and rates almost everything in the basic maintenance chapter as 1 or 2, rated this a 3 (nothing is rated 4 or 5).
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #5

This is the pic I'd found:

Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

The only way I could make this make any sense is to leave out the rubber piece. As near as I can tell, they both can only occupy one hole, so I opted for the spring only. (I saw it like that on another .) I can't see what the rubber piece's function can possibly be, and there seems to be nothing in English or Spanish-language Web sites that explains it, so it must privileged info known only to some secret mechanics' society. It's in the way of the brake cable when the spring is inserted in the only hole it fits in.

A pic I saw shows a setup that leaves out the spring as well, so go figure.