Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 12-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Hi A question security

Hello from Los Angeles! We live in Hollywood and am awaiting delivery of a new scooter. We live in a semi secure facility. There is a carport behind our apartment. We did have two bikes that were chained together stolen last year.

I purchased this cable lock that has to weigh fifteen pounds but I can find nothing to lock it too.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #2

My security is not that serious but I still make sure my scooters are as secure as possible. I have ground anchors. One in front of my porch and two in the garage. I no longer leave my scoots outside at night so the porch anchor hasn't been used in years. In the garage I just lock them together. My wife has a Honda Silverwing trike. Big and heavy!

So I suggest looking into ground anchors. I use a Kryptonite NY Noose chains.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
My security is not that serious but I still make sure my scooters are as secure as possible. I have ground anchors. One in front of my porch and two in the garage. I no longer leave my scoots outside at night so the porch anchor hasn't been used in years. In the garage I just lock them together. My wife has a Honda Silverwing trike. Big and heavy!

So I suggest looking into ground anchors. I use a Kryptonite NY Noose chains.
How about a few cinder blocks chained together? I

Old 12-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #4

Nope. Easy to actually break a cinder block. Maybe cast iron weights? Ask permission to install ground anchors.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #5

Hypothetical scenarios for two scooters owners in L.A. What security would you use for the following:

1. You both ride to a movie at night and park on the street

2. One of you drives to the market and parks in their lot

3. You park your scooter overnight on the street in front of your apartment

Thanks all. Sorry for the dyslexic title.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:47 PM   #6

My security concerns are not that high. I sometimes ride my scooter to a bar in a sketchy part of town and I lock my scooter to their sign outside. Yeah, I fear liftoff thefts in that area. My scooter has a immobilizer but I don't need idiot kids pushing it away and trying to hot wire it, triggering a $600 repair.

You could try an alarm added to your scooter. I have a 110 decibel one on my ebike. Granted most people ignore an alarm screaming away.

I have a seat to handlebar lock on my scooter. I got it so I can secure my full face if my trunk is full. It was a PITA to install on my Piaggio Liberty but totally worth it. My full face was $500.

But if your'e out with someone else on a scooter/motorcycle LOCK THEM TOGETHER. We have a system at a local arcade (video games, not naked ladies) that we lock our locks together, that way we can leave when we want. In Europe its called the Lock It To Me campaign. Helps prevent lift offs.

I really can't think of anything else to suggest. Like I said, my security concerns are mostly stupid kids looking for easy targets. No organized crime in my area. Now my sister lives in Washington D.C., you slip up and you'll loose your scooter quick! I always drive when I visit her.