Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 07-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #1

What do you recommend I buy to work on my scooter

Hello Everyone,
two weeks ago I had to have my carburetor replaced on my GY6 Chinese scooter, I've been asking the local shop he's a motorcycle shop for 4 months to do this for me, they keep putting me off, they finally did it they never tightened the screw on the back of the throttle cable I'm glad I checked it.

I've done my own oil changes I've done my own gear lube I know how to do those things and if I get YouTube videos I should be able to do most anything to my scooter except probably a valve adjustment which it won't need for a while it's only got 600 miles on it.

Can anybody recommend a good tool kit or tell me what tools I should buy, so I can do small repairs that need to be done, so I have the right tools.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

I have 2 pretty large tool boxes with pretty much anything needed. I've modded old cars, rebuilt motorcycles and even got into Japanese sports cars for awhile when my sister dumped a messed-up Eclipse on me. For 90% of scooter work I have a small Craftsman metric socket set, a larger metric socket set and a metric wrench set. A standard/metric feeler gag set (for valves) and a set of screwdrivers. Oh, and a decent torque wrench set. Rarely go into the other tool box drawers anymore. Its the special tools that are needed for scooter service work that add up. Clutch compressor/holder, variator holder(s), clutch puller (Honda Silverwing), bearing pressers, bearing pullers, crank shaft puller (hate those things), case sealers and other tools I haven't touched since getting out of 2-strokes and selling my motorcycle lift. Just pick up a metric small and large socket set, metric open end wrenches, screwdriver set and standard/metric feeler gauges. And a decent torque wrench. Should be good for starting out. Key word is metric.