Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #1

Road Salt and Wiring Woe

When I left work today my Vento's wiring harness burst into flames. That was annoying to me. It would seem that the last months of getting soaked with salt water on the roads here in Indiana has finally overwhelmed the 13 year old dry cracked insulation of the cheap Chinese wiring. Now I shall have to manufacture a new wiring harness and hope that the stator, voltage regulator and the CDI survived. I just hate winter anymore.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

Considering the conditions you ride in 13 years seems pretty good to me. I ride in Winter too, but every once and a while, when we get a freak warm day, I give my Kymco a nice warm soapy bath and rinse it well. Keeps the rust to a minium.
I'm with you, I hate Winter too.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #3

Road salt causes billions and billions of dollars worth of damage to vehicles ever year in the US. This is why my scooter, 2 motorcycles and a couple of my cars, are off the road at the first sign of snow...and don't get out again until the roads have been rinsed off by a couple of good spring rain storms.

After 13 years of all weather driving, I don't think your scoot owes you anything. Just take some of the money you've saved at the gas pump in the last decade +, and buy a nice new scooter.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

I got it running again. The plug connector from the ignition switch shorted out and burned. Did not have to replace the wiring harness thank goodness. While I had the plastics off I went and cleaned and checked all of the plug connections. They were all fairly gunked up with road grime and salt. The wires themselves are ok with no signs of cracks in the insulation. This year I get a new scooter and it wont be used in the winter. The Vento gets totally rebuilt,after 13 years it deserves that.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #5

"This year I get a new scooter and it wont be used in the winter. The Vento gets totally rebuilt,after 13 years it deserves that."

Sounds like a plan. Also, good job chasing down your problem.