Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Doh! Parking Tickets! (Questions for ya)

Hey guys and gals,

I live in Boston, MA. I have a 125 CC scooter that requires a license plate. Well, I park on the sidewalk because parking on the street makes no sense at all when it's beyond limited enough for cars alone as it is. I got a ticket yesterday! For the first time EVER for parking on the sidewalk.

This infuriates me and is so senseless because: A scooter of the exact same physical size as mine can park on the sidewalk without being ticketed if it is 50cc (not requiring a license plate).

My question,

Can I just take my license plate off the rear and store it inside the under seat storage? (1) No one can tell the difference. (2) Is it legal to keep your license plate inside your vehicle as opposed to on the rear?

Thanks guys

Safe riding

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

From July 2009 when the law went into effect:
"In the meantime, scooter owners who park on a city sidewalk will be subject to a $65 ticket, Gillooly said - assuming they don’t try to get away without putting license plates on their vehicles. Mopeds, which are required to have stickers but not plates, will continue to be allowed to park on sidewalks."

I would guess from that that the cops will check to see if you have a sticker, if you don't have a plate.. and if not sticker or plate, might still tag you with a ticket.. And NO, I don't think it would be at all legal to just have the plate inside the vehicle, not visible. That defeats the whole purpose for a plate. The avowed reason for the requirement for plated scooters to park on the street was to make scooter riders more accountable. I"m not sure how that is supposed to work though..
Old 08-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #3

Thanks nova

Old 08-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

Hey Jamez,
Using a cover is probably your best bet. I've parked my 170 and my 50 on the streets of Boston and have never had a problem. That being said, I always make sure I'm as out of the way as possible, and never near handicapped spaces and the like.
Always make sure there's space for a wheelchair to pass and usually you're golden. Someone may have complained about you, that might can prompt a ticket. As for taking off the plate, I know people do it here, but I wouldn't personally. Also there's motocycle parking only spaces in the city now, mostly in Back bay. Not sure where you got pinched.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Oh yeah, and a cover helps times too. I've heard that legally they can't lift a cover off a bike to see if it's plated. I doubt that, but they're probablly too lazy to check if it's covered.