Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-06-2024, 10:22 AM   #1

If the air filter is wet it won't start. I recently dropped a string trimmer air filter in a jar of gasoline and shook of the excess fuel and re-installed it. Would not start. I had to blow the filter out with compressed air. So your air filter might be wet with fuel and oil.

I've had reeds split before. Mostly the metal ones. Carbon fiber reeds are cheap insurance that if they fail they drop a piece of carbon in the motor and not metal. Always replace stock metal reeds with carbon fiber on 2-strokes.

Is the spark plug throwing a strong spark at the electrode? Alternators will usually suddenly fail without warning. On most 2-strokes an alternator failure is rare but it still happens. Also a faulty voltage regulator or even a failing coil can cause weak spark.

Last thing I can think of is a bad petcock valve. They are vacuum actuated and sometimes get stuck open, flooding the carb Again, rare but it can happen. You'll have to do a quick test to see if its closing in a timely manner and not getting stuck.

Let us know what you find. Knowledge is power and it needs to be shared.

Login or Register to Remove Ads