Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

Pothole bump problem

Alright today was an eventful day as my scooter went from not working correctly to working correctly to my hopes being crushed as it didn't work correctly again. DISCLAIMER: I have little to no scooter maintenance experience, I bought a chinese 50cc scooter on craigslist because it was basically free and wanted to use it for little excursions. So my scooter has never been ready to roll immediately after starting. I normally kick start it, watch the back wheel begin to spin until it reaches peak RPM then slows down to an idle. Usually once it slows to a stop, I can pull the throttle and everything is ready to go. If I pull the throttle before it's "warmed up" then it usually responds a little and then just dies. So I let my scooter warm up but even after it settled to an idle after 5-10 mins I couldn't give it any throttle or it would die out. I tried adjusting the fuel mixture valve on the carb and also the idle speed to see if I could fix it. After turning the fuel mixture screw maybe 360 degrees all of the sudden I tried the throttle and I was able to get it revving up perfectly. I drove it for about a mile close to home thinking I had found the solution. Then I hit a pothole and the engine stopped responding to throttle again until it shut off. I pulled over and basically experienced the same problems as before. I tried putting the fuel mixture screw all the way in, all the way out, and everywhere inbetween with no luck. Could this be what originally fixed my problems or was it something else? How could hitting a pothole affect this? What do you think I should do? Once again, if you say "have you done _____" there's a 99% chance I haven't.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #2

sounds like the carb is stopped up

depending on whether you want to learn to repair your scooter or just get on it and go-- you could choose to either totally disassemble / rebuild your carb or simply replace it
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #3

It sounds like your carb is a POS. I'd replace it for several reasons and amongst them are the float could be bad or stuck, something plugging up the jets like dirt, a bad drain valve screw seal a bad a/f screw seal or rubber seal leaking. Simply put you could be chasing down any or all of these issues so the better money spent would be on a new one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
engine, fuel, pothole, throttle, warm