Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 10-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #31

I too am having serious overheating issues with my MC-54-250 Roketa. This has been going on for 8 months now. I have already posted several threads about it. It has been a long story but I will not start at the beginning. I will just start here...
I can go about 4-5 miles and then it starts to overheat. SOMEHOW... Air keeps getting back into the system. I have burped, & burped, & burped, & burped, & burped this scooter and STILL there is air in the cooloing system. After every good burping session, I can actually go around 25 miles before it starts to overheat. I received a New Fan, Thermostat, and Both Temp Sensors from Roketa. I only had to pay shipping charges. Still did not fix this problem though. I DO NOT have any oil in my anti-freeze, nor do I have any anti-freeze in my oil. I was told that this was a sure sign of a blown/bad head gasket. I was told to try and spray ether (starting fluid) around the cylinder head to see if the idle increased. It DID NOT. I was a little bit afraid to spray too much, for fear of an explosion caused by heat around the exhaust.
I honestly DO NOT know where, or how air keeps getting back in to this cooling system. Unless it is being sucked in thru the head gasket.
I am at a loss here. Like I said, this has been going on for 8 months now. I have gone thru 2 gallons of coolant trying to keep burping the air out. There is NO way that all of this air is still coming from my coolant change.
By the way... I am an expert now at doing JR's burping method.
Also... after I have gotten ALL of the air out of the system, and filled both the overflow tank and the radiator with the proper coolant levels, while I am riding the coolant is being burped back into the overflow from the radiator. This causes the coolant level in the radiator to get too low and that's when the overheating starts.
I will stop my ride and return home before it gets too hot.
Two, even as much as 3 days later, when I start to go for another ride, of course I check the coolant level in the radiator first, and there is STILL a great deal of pressure inside of the radiator/cooling system.
Still, 3 days later, and the pressure is so great that it spews out some of the COLD coolant. I then go thru the burping process all over again. This is killing me and my wallet. I want to take a nice long ride soooo bad, and I can't.
I can just make it to the necessary places like Walmart, the doctors office, gas station etc... As long as I don't go more then 7-8 miles from home, and that's being generous, I'm fine. But what's fun about that.
Please, somebody HELP!
I did read that there was a kit that I could purchase from the automotive store for about $45.00 that would tell me whether or not there were any exhaust gases in the radiator. I was also told that I could use a sniffer from an emissions testing/repair place to sniff out any exhaust gases in the radiator. This would supposedly tell me for sure whether or not I had a head gasket leak. I'm guessing one of those should be my next move, huh?
If anybody has any other thoughts, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call me...
Dan @ 443-653-1674

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #32

GOOD GRIEF! Some of you guys are tough as hell because I wouldn't put up with
these relentless headache inducing POS problem (often times clone) scoots. If it
were me, (but it aint, so it is JMO) I'd cut my losses and unload the bike. You're
loosing on it in more ways than one anyway as it is it so it wouldn't matter much
to take a loss when you do sell it. Of course you'd need to make a disclosure on
the overheating or whatever issue.

I don't mean to make you feel bad but I can't be doing any worse for you than what
your bike is doing to you already. (and for as long as you continue to let it be a
problem to you.)

My advice, because this thing is taking the joy out of your scootering experience is:
Be done with it and get a more reliable bike. (not a clone)
FWIW
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Tags
mc-13-250 cooling