Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Just my opinion, but if you have the time and resources to do it, do it. The northern tier of the US is excellent for a ride in July. Vast fields of sunflowers across North Dakota, the eastern plains of Montana, and the Rocky Mountains in the Pacific Northwest, not to mention the lakes and rivers should be experienced. Granted, I'm not much for the structured ride of an organized event, but there is some comfort in the support. There are hundred mile stretches between towns of any size, and even in the 21st century, if you crash out there, medical can be well over an hour away. Just plan well, and of course, remember.. You have to get back home, so if you enjoyed the first 3500 miles, you can turn it into a month long 7000 miles. It's doubtful that you will ever regret taking the ride, but most certain that you would regret NOT doing it if you have the opportunity.
As far as chinese scooters go.. I doubt that there would be a problem, as long as you ride it like a chinese scooter, or a Honda from 20 years ago. Standard stuff, keep the oil up, and the revs down.. Whatever you choose: HAPPY 2016..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

I was not aware that a Ninja engine & drive was used. Was it "cheating" or claimed as such or do you know if the rules for that year allowed that to be done?

I don't have the specific information about that now. I saw the web site where the owner of the Campbell hot rod revealed pictures of the construction in progress. Here is a quote from another source on the topic.

http://www.life2wheels.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

Aside from having a certain Jetsons' kitschy appeal, it was quite a topical scooter to see. Only a few months ago, a 1947 Salsbury scooter handily won the 2012 Scooter Cannonball race rally traveling from Savannah Georgia to San Diego in just eight short days. It's true that the winning Salsbury was doctored with a state of the art 250cc Ninja motorcycle engine tucked under the bodywork. But when you see a Salsbury, riding one coast-to-coast seems like the most remote possibility.

What I do know is that the rules were changed before the next Cannonball to take into account engine displacement, which is probably why the Honda Elite flogged the field of 250 Vespas. I only know that the stories emanating from the Cannonball are not exactly a glowing recommendation for scooter longevity. You certainly have to wonder what would happen if someone entered a SYM Symba with chain drive as a scooter.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.