Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #1

Curiosity about variators

A friend has a 150cc Jonway scooter, and offered it to me. I been debating this all day, cause it does need to be tuned, and the 53mph is not bad for a older stock scooter. Still I am wondering about purchasing the bike, and would like a little more spunk. I know that on motorcycles changing the final gear at the wheel, going smaller, can increase performance and mileage, but I am unsure if it will have the same affect on scooters, or where to locate such a part of kit. Would this change help the scooters performance, and if so where can I locate such a variator or kit including the new belt size?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

53mph, thats not bad for a stock Jonway 150. What brands do they offer for a Jonway? We use Malossi variators on our builds. All a performance variator does is optimize ramp angles for max power and speed, and some work better than others. TST makes a multi ramp variator but it kept snapping belts on my Zuma 125. A over-range variator will only work with a matching over-range rear pulley, and most require the removal of the electric starter. Over-range variators also use a longer belt, normal performance variators use the stock belt. If you end up finding a aftermarket performance variator just reuse the stock belt. As crazy as this sounds, on our tuned 70cc Zuma motors we have had the best luck and longevity out of the OEM belts. Note that once you start tuning and understanding what does what it becomes like a drug. You will then be tuning roller weights, torque spring, engagement springs (aka-clutch springs), clutch bell weight. So, if the price is fair on the Jonway and its in good shape, buy, tune and enjoy! I have a friend selling a powder blue Genuine Buddy 125. It has a carb issue that needs to be ironed out (long story, I know the history of the scooter). If you are even remotely insterested PM me and I will give you the lowdown. I sold it to him for $500. May be able to get it back for the same price. Its in MINT condition.

Last edited by sc00ter; 08-24-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #3

For a 200 lb rider (doesn't everyone weigh 200 lbs?) I've read that 11gm rollers ought to be about right for decent acceleration and still allow top end. Youtube, the forums and the internet are loaded with lots of "what to do" and "how to do its" to get better performance from your scooter. 150cc isn't very much if you intend to cruise more than 45 mph.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #4

Hey scooter, are there any changes I could make to increase the speed, and keep acceleration? I don't want a race bike, just a little increase in speed for the commute to work. I do not want anything drastic like bore kits, just get a little better speed for the commute so I don't hold up others on the road.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

A good variator will give you what you are looking for. OEM transmissions are set up for emissions standards, to meet both noise and pollution levels, and a aftermarket variator will optimize the power band to full potential. Again, I noted "good" variator, as all aftermarket performance variators are not created equal. From my experience, TST makes junk, Polini works but hard to tune, Malossi works great but roller weight choice is important, Naraku is nice for the money, NCY makes nice package deal kits for a fair price-comes with a variator and torque driver, J.Costa is just weird. So, pick wisely and enjoy. For variator removal you will need fixed face locking tool or strap wrench to hold it (use a impact gun at your OWN RISK-not recommended!), socket for the nut, and a torque wrench for reassembly (rent/borrow from auto parts store). You Tube will be your friend for how-to videos. So you bought the Jonway? Get a good price? Year and miles?

Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

Thanks, I definitely want the best parts, as I learned a long time ago that it is better to invest to fix and repair any vehicle properly as it saves a great deal of time, money and future problems.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #7

ScOOter, I was just looking at the nyc kit on Amazon, and like what it says, thanks again, but I have one more question. I know that increasing speed will usually affect the fuel mileage, and am willing to accept a second for the extra power. I am just curious about how much of a decline should I expect, and what should the speed increase average? If need be, I am willing to invest in a larger fuel tank.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #8

Your scoot should get around 75-85 miles to the gallon in the real world, and you may loose a whopping 2 mpg's overall. Just variator, your top end speed will increase around 2-5mph (again, the scoot will only go as fast as the final drive gear ratio) but, when tuned right, will move off the line. If you get the whole NCY kit (variator and rear pulley) maybe 5-8mph extra and even quicker off the line. Trust me, its worth the upgrade! Also, larger tanks are not always worth the trouble. Oh, and make sure if its the whole kit (vario and rear pulley) that it keeps the electric starter if thats an issue for you. Some over-range kits have you remove it, some dont. Not sure exactly what NCY kit your looking at, but their tans kits are good. Finally, if your thinking of changing the final gear ratio, make sure your motor can move it! If you dont have enough power to turn the "improved" ratio the scoot will actually be slower. Final drive mods usually mean a bbk.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #9

I am looking at the complete kit, it is 205 on Amazon. It has everything, that I made certain.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #10

I just Installed the Amazon NCY Variator kit yesterday...BUY IT!

My kit came w 1000lb clutch spring, 10g rollers... my stock gray color rollers were 12.7g worn.
I just ordered Dr Pulley 13.5 Sliders for my 190lb weight, on a little 150cc Tao Tao VIP GY6 157QMJ... the 10g NCY rollers were good to 1/2 throttle, but a bit revvy for flat WPB roads.
I feel my motor can turn a higher gearing. I am wanting a powerband from 1/4 - 3/4 throttle and the 10g rollers I thought would do it better, I feel like its revving out too much or I need a taller gearing. FWIW my scoot is tuned well. Perhaps a lighter clutch bell than NCY next, and a yellow 1500 clutch spring.
I did change my internal 3 clutch engage springs from the red NCY, to my stock springs that engage the clutch at about 1000rpm, which is handy for ultra slow riding smooth.
---------------
Update: The Dr Pulley 13.5g Sliders are just a tad too tall a gear, it pulls bit better low/mid, mid-3/4 'just' struggling to accel, 3/4- full 'slowly' winding out, for general tall gear cruzing its nice. I concur with some reports out there that the 12g sliders would be 'perfect'
Performance Ignition
NCY Tranny Kit - Dr Pulley 13.5g sliders / 1000lb springs
More parts coming

Last edited by BeachScoot; 06-08-2019 at 03:14 PM.