Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Say hello to my little loud friend!

So my old POS after-market muffler was cracked and falling apart at both ends... As i was browsing scooter shops and ebay for replacement ideas, I came across listings for 2-stroke silencers and noticed they have a 3-hole bolt pattern, like the after-market pipe my muffler came with. So I found some measurments for the pipe I have, and for a gasket for the silencers... and sure enough, they match!

So... I bought a used OEM silencer for $25 shipped and bolted it to my pipe. Fits like a glove!
It is LOUD... almost silent at idle and light 'cruising' throttle, but when you get into it, it sounds bratty like a glasspack on a car. I can't say it sounds good, but $25 for something of jap/Italian quality is music to my ears.
I plan to nip the curve out of the tip, the sound bounces back bad off everything, even just the street curb.
I've been told it sounds like a go-cart on crack... the scooter performs just as well, so its not restricting it any.

I just though I would share, in case anyone was looking for a cheap and very loud option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7389s.jpg (62.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7390s.jpg (65.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7385s.jpg (48.9 KB, 24 views)

'08 US Titan 1P57QMJ NCY CVT kit & Teflon intake - 9g sliders - Mikuni fuel pump - pod filter w/ tube - Frankenpipe - #114/#38 - blue CDI w/orange spark - bedazzled with LEDs
'08 139QMB - sold - being ridden long and hard, still truckin'!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

It is loud, because it's like a straight pipe, with no muffler.
You might as well just installed a pipe, would do the same thing.

There are some very affordable, aluminum racing exhausts, that don't cost too much.
At least they get rid of the sharp tones, and they're not restricting either.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #3

So aren't there any by laws about how much noise you can make with your scooter? I live in Britain and we'd be done in no time if we sounded as loud as this one seems to be!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #4

Its not quite as loud as just the pipe for sure... lol. It does have baffles in it, just not much of them. I guess once the air volume gets past a certain point it does become like a small strait pipe.
The only time it's super loud is going uphill... I can feather it enough on flats and taking off to keep it about the same as any after market muffler.

Prodigit - 'very affordable' to me is $100, and you see what that got me. I'm assuming you are referring to the $200 systems? That's not very affordable... If you could point me to the cheapest quality you know of, that would be great.

As far as sound laws... there are enough 50cc's running around here with strait pipes, gutted pipes, NO pipes, all running WOT constantly that me roaring up a hill I guess has gone under the radar. To compare, I'd say its about the same noise volume and harshness as a typical off-road dirt bike, and I hear a couple of those around every day.
I putt-putt around my neighbor hood nice and slow & quiet, but people living on main roads I'm sure have learned to deal with traffic noise.

Its definitely not a final solution, but the $99 POS was getting ready to literally fall off, as you can see.

'08 US Titan 1P57QMJ NCY CVT kit & Teflon intake - 9g sliders - Mikuni fuel pump - pod filter w/ tube - Frankenpipe - #114/#38 - blue CDI w/orange spark - bedazzled with LEDs
'08 139QMB - sold - being ridden long and hard, still truckin'!