Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 03-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Speedo cable or Throw the scooter away?

I have a 2013 PCC Envy 150cc with an odometer issue. The speedo works just fine and is correctly calibrated. I checked it with a GPS. The issue is the odometer will not count. I took it apart and the dials move very freely. Any thoughts or do you think it's the speedo cable?. Also how do you measure the spedo cable? do you take the actual cable measurement, or the jacket measurement. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

the odometer wheels are usually retained in place by some restriction. pull it apart again and look closely for something broken or missing. you may need to use a magnifier to see it. Or you could just buy a replacement speedometer.

the cable provides the power to drive the speedometer asm, so if the mph registers correctly then the cable is fine.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #3

Replace the speedometer in the instrument cluster.
If the needle is moving to indicate your speed, then the speedometer cable is working.
You have a mechanical defect inside the speedometer itself (could be a broken gear, something missing, etc).

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

Just a follow up for the record. I took the odometer apart and found the the last cog in the line is not quite touching the sprocket of the next cog, hence the tenths of a mile wheel will not turn or will make contact sometimes. Repair, (large flat head screw driver) placed on the brass pin that holds the cog. A swift tap and now all is well. Odometer is working again.