Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-03-2019, 04:03 AM   #1

Emergency help, I messed something up.

My 50cc stopped turning over with the push button a month ago. I've been using kickstart. I decided it would be a great idea to remove the starter and starter solenoid and wiring attached which I did. I left the red cable from the battery loose, it may be touching frame metal, but it's otherwise connected to nothing.
Everything was fine for about 10 minutes of driving when I heard a somewhat loud "pop" and decided to get it home. Once there, after I killed the engine, it will not come to life again when I kickstart it. I'm sure I screwed SOMETHING electrical up and maybe there's no spark is my guess. Please help. I've read about fuses and possibly blowing a CDI but I am not sure where to start. Tomorrow I will look it over and see if I can discern any obvious issue. Any recommendations? Should I connect the battery wire that was going to the starter solenoid to something? Any help greatly appreciated. Need this for work.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #2

Update

So several hours later at first light I went out there to trouble shoot and it starts right up. 5 minutes of driving and I kill the engine. Try to start (kick). This has always been a finely tuned first kick start machine. After about 8tries... Nothing. So I turn it full throttle and kick start... And vuala she works. So apparently the battery terminal connected to the starter solenoid is fine left unattached... But what's going on with the alteration in kick start reliability? Btw it's a 47mm kit running I think a 90 main jet. Runs like a champ and I'm 260 lbs. Does 22 mph up steep hills and top speed is around 50mph with a little downhill help. Never EVER had any issue (other than a dead starter motor probably) till now.

Tags
electrical, ignition, spark, starter