Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

New Scooter debating should I do it again?

I have the opportunity to get another new scooter. For the past year, I have had a Gator 50 made by JiaJue. It has just over 800 miles on it.
Other than 3 oil changes and 1 gear lube change and a new battery it has been trouble-free. I use it for pleasure riding, we live across from a lake and can drive it around the lake and the surrounding neighborhood and make a nice 10-mile pleasure ride. We also ride around our community and take it to the clubhouse, pool and in general use it on 35 mph streets. We are retired and use it for pleasure.
I have the chance to get a brand-new one and may do so BUT safety is a concern. I have read a lot of articles that discourage the Chinese GY6 knockoff because they are not as safe. My neighbor wants my scooter and I am tempted to sell to him and get a new one for about a 100 dollar difference. My neighbors know how well I take care of it and they want one. So, if I do it I was thinking of another similar to mine. But again, safety and break downs are a concern.

It is either LUCK or perhaps I got a good scooter because my GY6 has not left me stranded and starts, drives and rides nice, However, I am a little overboard with maintenance and don't drive it all the time and it gets easy pleasure use not daily heavy traffic driving.

I am curious what you think of the Chinese GY6 4 stroke scooters VS spending a lot more for a fuel-injected better made scooter.

IF I drove it daily and didn't use it for pure pleasure riding I would consider a better-built scooter.

Having good luck with my last GY6 makes me wonder if getting another would be a roll of the dice.?

Below is a picture of the Jiajue Gator 50 that I want to purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red-50cc-scooter-Gator50S1.jpg (34.9 KB, 2 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 PM   #3

Why replace yours with the same thing if yours is running fine? Seems weird to me. I keep scooters till they die or hit 30,000ish miles but they are my main transportation, and as long as I feel I got my money out of them Im fine with replacing them. Have you considered a used Yamaha, Honda, Genuine (my favorite), Kymco or anything else? They all need service. A 2 stroke is much more simple than a 4 stroke if 50cc's suites your needs.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 AM   #4

I wouldn't get a new scoot just to have fuel injection. It decreases emissions, but usually does not increase power.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

You unknowingly lucked onto a good brand of scooter Jiajue is one of he best kept secrets in Chinese scooters. Bintelli switched to selling Jiajue under their brand name having not much luck with their previous supplier. Besides the built in reliability of the 50cc GY6, the brand has shown to be quite reputable.

Used Hondas and Yamahas are a great idea. Just hope you don't have to buy parts.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #6

Fuel injection would be nice to have, but if you should have problems with it could be expensive. It's your call. I like the simplicity of carb engines, I like the easy starting of fuel injection. All in all for what I do a carburater'd engine is just fine. Your situation may be different.