Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

Batteries and cold, good story!

So, its getting really cold here just like the rest of the USA. I have my 98 Zuma, 14 Burgy 200 and my wifes 12 Can-Am Spyder in the garage. I slacked and was not starting them for about 2 weeks. Like all Zumas in the cold, I had to kick start it and it fired up after about 20 kicks. Now it starts on 3 kicks. The Burgman was a bit slow at first but sprang to life, awesome! Now, go to start the Spyder. It systems checks, I acknowledge the safety screen and nothing. I think the battery is flat. Worse is you cant just jump start it. The computers will lock it down if something weird is detected, like a external charge. Glad I didnt take the Spyder to visit my sister in the mountains (Front Royal, VA) during Xmass. I never fully trust it. To complicated and feels fragile. Wife rides it, so thats the only reason its here. Watch those batteries. Oh, and I have never used a battery tender, just got lazy in taking them out for a cold ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #2

This reminds me, I loaned my old battery charger to a neighbor a while back. I probably ought to remind him he's had it long enough now. And I need to fix my cheap battery tender, the case broke on it and it needs some JB Weld and tape. I bought a smart charger at Aldi's when they had them on one of their weekly specials. It has a maintenance setting. I've got it on the pickup which I seldom drive. It also has a motorcycle battery setting which makes it nice to charge the scooter batteries.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

I have seen solar powered tenders and may just do some research. My electrical wiring needs a overhaul in the garage where the bikes live. Plan on fixing it this spring. Its just I have terrible luck with solar. Bought a $160 solar powered flood light for the garage. Had a 1 year warranty. Well, a year and 3 months later it just quit working for some reason. Looks like water got between the panels. Nope, the manufacturer was no help. I recently got one of those As Seen On TV solar lights and it died at just under a year. The kicker is when I went to peel it off the vinyl siding it took a chunk with it! It had real deal red 3M double sided tape for install. Now I know were the money and quality went, the tape and not the crappy solar light.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

Just for the fun of it, I get the one dollar solar lights at Dollar Tree and Dollar General. I put three of them on the blades of the ornamental windmill in the back yard... and one on the tail.... around and around they go. I did it the easy way, cut slots in the base and using Dollar Tree adhesive glued them on, thus far non have flown off and that thing spins really fast in high winds.