Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #16

Well guys, with all of the symptoms I did narrow it down to the carb. I just decided to purchase a new carb and put it in now it runs like a champ. The idle is smooth and bike feels great on the road. I cleaned the old carb twice and didn't want to put it back in a third time to have it fail. Not sure what went bad on the old carb, but a buddy of mine said he heard that the a lot of people have trouble with small engines because of the ethanol in the gas. I don't know if that's true, but I sure won't put Sta-Bil in my tank anymore. I drained out the old gas and glass filter then put new gas in with Seafoam. I hope all goes well in the future! Thanks for all the help!
Kenwood Marine Radio With Remote Control
Mikuni Fuel Pump

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #17

I'll bet it's your clutch. When the clutch begins to fail, the first symptom is sporadic idle. This is because the clutch main spring (torque spring) becomes fatigued and does not close properly, causing a lope-ing idle and stalling at stops.

Remove the belt and check the action of the clutch.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beo111 View Post
Well guys, with all of the symptoms I did narrow it down to the carb. I just decided to purchase a new carb and put it in now it runs like a champ. The idle is smooth and bike feels great on the road. I cleaned the old carb twice and didn't want to put it back in a third time to have it fail. Not sure what went bad on the old carb, but a buddy of mine said he heard that the a lot of people have trouble with small engines because of the ethanol in the gas. I don't know if that's true, but I sure won't put Sta-Bil in my tank anymore. I drained out the old gas and glass filter then put new gas in with Seafoam. I hope all goes well in the future! Thanks for all the help!
Had the same problem with my scoot. I bought it cheap from some guy who had stored it for ~2 years with gas and stabilizer in it. Sta-Bil + cheap low octane ethanol gas + time = carb and gas nastiness. Fortunately mine came to life with a good cleaning, some seafoam, and some ethanol free gas.

Glad you solved it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads