Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 03-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Honda Elite 80 speedometer visor plastic lock

Ok so for years I’ve been reading these forums and never joined. For what I’m about to ask, it would make any member doubt I’ve split the case on other scooters and done full engine rebuilds. That said, my elite 80 I’m stuck on attaching speedometer wind visor to the front handle cover. How do those black plastic locks work? Hammer or screw in, or another way?

Backstory, sourced a front handle cover (which go for a pretty penny) it was white, I color matched with America Red R191 paint. Somewhat happy with my paint job and clear on it. I do recall taking the screw lock off, some how the bottom part expands.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahqu2 View Post
Ok so for years I’ve been reading these forums and never joined. For what I’m about to ask, it would make any member doubt I’ve split the case on other scooters and done full engine rebuilds. That said, my elite 80 I’m stuck on attaching speedometer wind visor to the front handle cover. How do those black plastic locks work? Hammer or screw in, or another way?

Backstory, sourced a front handle cover (which go for a pretty penny) it was white, I color matched with America Red R191 paint. Somewhat happy with my paint job and clear on it. I do recall taking the screw lock off, some how the bottom part expands.
Still stuck on this “push rivet”. I took one apart to try and figure it out, I just don’t get it. Does not turn, meant to be pushed it seems, but the bottom part is sealed. Lots of pressure to push only makes it bend at top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9CBB20ED-98E0-47B1-BE7F-11155D6D5886.jpg (15.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 7BD193F8-F542-4BCC-98EF-357A61672A5F.jpg (12.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #3

Yamaha and Suzuki love push rivets! Here's a low down on how they work. To remove, you push the center in about half-way, and you can remove the push rivet from the outer flange. To install, the center pin needs to be in the upper position, about half(ish) way out of the push rivet. You install the rivet assembly with the center about half(ish) out, then press the center pin flush to "lock" it in position.

Sometimes, when removing the push rivet, the center pin will be tight and you'll accidentally push it all the way thru, loosing it in the abyss of the panels. And sometimes the center pin does not want to go into the "insert" position, and will pop out of the rivet assembly when forced in the up position.

Center pin halfway depressed is un-lock.
Center pin halfway out is insert position.
Center pin flush is the locked position.

Hope this makes sense. If you damage them, some better (Taylors Do-It Center, LOWES) hardware stores sell them either in the hardware section OR a hidden section in the automotive fastener section. Also some motorcycle shops will sell a pack of 10 in various sizes. I hated those when I first encountered them, now I actually like them.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

Looking at those in the picture, they may be different? Try my method first and if it doesn't work, hit up a Honda Powersports dealership.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #5

1st of thank you so much for your response. Any input is appreciated. I find this challenge harder than clutch springs. When I removed these rivets they seemed obvious. I’m going to read your reply a few times and try playing around with them. Maybe I’ll make a video to show my confusion. That said really happy with the restoration project. Both rails are painted and installed. I ordered a new visor so I have some time to figure it out with these darn rivets.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Video
Old 04-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

Darn not acceptable attachment:(
Old 04-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #8

The Elite 80 was my first ever scooter. I purchased it as a discount damaged delivery (cracked side panels) brand new with full warranty. Rode it for 3 trouble free years. When I went to pick it up I wasn't aware I needed an "M"/Motorcycle endorsement. That scooter was a gateway drug to rocket bikes and bigger scooters. I sold it to a friend and we convinced the DMV that it was a 50cc so he could ride it as a moped. I swear that thing was still on the road like 20 years later. I didn't buy any options for it but I know Honda made a tall windshield, color matched top box and there was a mod (not Honda approved) that got better acceleration and around 5 extra mph's on the top speed. I forgot what it was exactly but it had to do with machining the fixed variator face and different roller weights. Mine would hit 55mph MAX..
Old 04-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #9

That’s a cool story about that Elite 80. Mine has something similar with DMV. In NY state the registration acts as a title, NY registered as a moped. NJ said we won’t plate this a motorcycle, argued and they agreed to plate it a moped despite being an 80cc... in NJ this means a 15 year old can legally ride this “moped” with a moped license, when they would normally have to be 18 to ride with a motorcycle endorsement. I figure this adds value to it. Lol
Old 06-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #10

Honda Elite 80 restoration DONE!

Hopefully new headlight looks stock, happy with tach and usb charger. Reading about modifying exhaust......