Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #1

gy6 50cc tao tao no spark?! please read

So I have of those typical GY6 Mopeds... anyway heres my issue..

I thought that coil was bad because it was misfiring and a new spark plug did not fix it. We eliminated the fact that it wasn't carb related. Anyway.. so I pull the stator out and replaced everything. I replaced the coil, stator, spark plug, and spark plug boot, and yet when I try firing it, I see no spark at all on the plug when I ground it. And yes I have checked all grounds to make sure.

I replaced the CDI and still nothing. I am starting to wonder if one of the ignition wires is accidently getting grounded somewhere preventing the spark? Anywho, is there a good way to by pass everything related to the kill switch and key from the handles bars to test it? Like is there a set of wires somewhere near the ignition coil or near the gas tank where I can bridge 2 wires to bypass everything so I can just make sure spark is possible?

Also there was spark previous to me replacing the stator so that doesnt make sense why all of a sudden there is no spark.. I double check everything and I did not damage any wires when removing the old stator.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari9982 View Post
So I have of those typical GY6 Mopeds... anyway heres my issue..

I thought that coil was bad because it was misfiring and a new spark plug did not fix it. We eliminated the fact that it wasn't carb related. Anyway.. so I pull the stator out and replaced everything. I replaced the coil, stator, spark plug, and spark plug boot, and yet when I try firing it, I see no spark at all on the plug when I ground it. And yes I have checked all grounds to make sure.

I replaced the CDI and still nothing. I am starting to wonder if one of the ignition wires is accidently getting grounded somewhere preventing the spark? Anywho, is there a good way to by pass everything related to the kill switch and key from the handles bars to test it? Like is there a set of wires somewhere near the ignition coil or near the gas tank where I can bridge 2 wires to bypass everything so I can just make sure spark is possible?

Also there was spark previous to me replacing the stator so that doesnt make sense why all of a sudden there is no spark.. I double check everything and I did not damage any wires when removing the old stator.

Bad plug?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:25 AM   #3

when you replaced stator did you set the timing to where it was originally because you could have retard or advance it while installing to the point it will not work also check your your main fuse that may effect ther cdi and not give spark

Login or Register to Remove Ads