Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-14-2019, 12:37 AM   #1

Glass oil catch can and occasional smoking problem

I was looking at case breathers in hopes of fixing an intermittent smoking problem I've been having.. Every now and then it'll start smoking while sitting at red lights. white smoke. sometimes thick, sometimes thin but usually gets thicker if i let it go. I usually just shut it off and restart when the light turns. it might also do it while riding but i dont spend much time looking back so I couldn't really say.

Anyway i was thinking it could be case pressure related.. its been doing it since I installed a 47mm kit. The bike was a replacement for one that was stolen and i did the build the day after getting it so i never rode it much as a 50. at the same time, I also did an a9 cam, new carb, pod filter, rejet and pair removal. I was about to order a can but figured I could just make one after looking at a couple diagrams. I've done glass for the past 15 years so making it wasn't a big deal.. the part that screws into the case actually took more figuring out lol. I used an aluminum dipstick that didn't clear the exhaust on my new bike. I cut it as short as possible, drilled it out and pressed a brass barb fitting into it. the hose is just some clear vinyl I had lying around but and it seems fine after being on there for a week or so. The can itself is pretty hefty at 4mm thick and pretty tucked away so i don't think I'll have any issues with breakage. I cut up an old bungee cord for the rubber. definitely helps dampen vibration. its hard to see but there is a baffle above the hose connection which holds a bunch of steel wool in place in the upper portion.

thought some of you might wanna see. also all ears for suggestions for my smoking issue.. obviously the breather didn't solve it

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59259599787__59375CD4-EFFB-48E0-B51F-B15E9A9B8C3F.jpg (90.5 KB, 4 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads