Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

Doh! Scooter has no power

Ok been working on this scooter for a friend for couple weeks now. I had to adjust the valves for her and it ran fine for a few days. I looked this thing over five time to try figure out my issues and have ran out of options. The problem I'm having is it will start up and run fine while on the center stand but as soon as I put it under a load it losses all power and will go no where. If anyone has any advice let me know thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #2

A friend had a Honda Metro and he pulled some panels off to work on the carb. When he put it back together, every time he took it off the center stand it would cut off. Put it back on the center stand and it would start back up-repeat. He found a fuel vent line got knocked out of a holder/guide and it was getting pinched when the scooter settled on the wheels, causing fuel to quit flowing. Now, I would also check to see if its getting spark while on the wheels-just in case its a ground wire that broken. Only 2 things I can think of. Let us know what you find.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

main jet in carb clogged

Old 11-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

I'm assuming it ran before you gave it a tune-up? If its been sitting, them yes, clean the carb. I usually ask the following:
Did it run o.k. before the problem appeared?
Is it smashed up from crash damage? (I HATE working on those!)
Has it been sitting? If so, how long?
God forbid, is it hot-wired? The "I lost the key" people. See it all the time.
Other known issues before working on it?
How many miles?
Service history?
Old 11-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

She has been riding it everyday and one day she told me it wouldn't run when it was cold, so I went and adjusted the valves and it started right up and ran for about a week. She then told me that it would start once in awhile but would go anywhere so I looked at it and that's where I found my current issue. I've checked all hoses and wires. The lose of power don't only happen when I take it off the center stand when I apply the back break I get the same result while its on the stand. Thanks for the reply and I'll do some checking again see what I can find. I hardly ever find something I can't figure out on my own but this got me stumped.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

Try what 2Dongfangs said, as that is possible cause for the symptom you described. The short cut/lazy solution is to loosen the drain screw and back flush it with carb cleaner. I hate getting stumped on a problem, but it happens to all of us once in awhile. I used to help a young lady work on a Hyosung Sense for awhile, but the poor scooter was just flat out worn out. I ended up getting her a Genuine Buddy 50 for cheap from a friend to replace said Hyosung. I'm not saying replace the scooter your're working on, just pick your battles wisely. That's why I asked about crash damage. The Hyosung looked like a car ran it over! Just beat to crap but she got it for $50 of a family member, and it served her well for a few years. The new to her Buddy was a better solution for all parties involved.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

Check the intake manifold. They are all notorious for cracking them and running lean.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #8

Or a stator issue? Both of my Buddy 125's did weird things when they started to fail.