Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #1

Minarelli 2 Stroke (1e40qmb) Starter Clutch Issue

Hey Guys-
At a stand still on this one and hoping someone out there may know a little something about these starter assemblies as i'm struggling to find a solution.

I bought a Sinski 50cc scooter (Chinese) about a year back.
It would start up, and continue to run so long as I reved it up and then all of a sudden violently die.
Below are two videos I took of this;

I pulled the clutch assembly apart and the starter clutch was wore to heck.
After a few attempts/purchases to find the right replacement starter clutch I found the starter clutch off of a 2 stroke Zuma was exactly the same as the original. (coincidentally the cylinder is stamped yahmaha)
Once I replaced it with this one it started catching right away as shown in this video;

I had filmed a dissasembly but cant seem to find the video.
I'll try to take a video of that and upload it later this week.

I've been at a dead end for about a year now and hoping to get this back up and running so the lady can get out and enjoy the social distancing via scooter!
Let me know if anyone has any ideas on what the issue could be or any questions.
Thanks in advanced!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #2

I should also note I replaced the flywheel and needle bearings when i replaced the starter clutch.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

That is a Yamaha Jog 2-stroke based engine. Still a horizontal minarelli based motor but its slightly different than a Zuma "bug-eye" 2-stroke motor. A bunch of the transmission parts will swap over but the starter is kinda unique. I gave a complete Jog motor to the scrap metal man not long ago. Had a cracked stator side cover and high miles but it still ran. Was not worth fixing. Whats terrible is I cant compare it or pull parts anymore because its gone.

So, what exactly is the problem? Looking at your video it seems to be turning over on the starter but not starting. The "ping" noise is the starter clutch dis-engaging. To me at least it sounds correct. Please give more detail as to what your trying to accomplish and lets see if we can figure it out. Those are actually quality little clones of a Vino.

Last edited by sc00ter; 04-17-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lind9555 View Post
Hey Guys-
At a stand still on this one and hoping someone out there may know a little something about these starter assemblies as i'm struggling to find a solution.

I bought a Sinski 50cc scooter (Chinese) about a year back.
It would start up, and continue to run so long as I reved it up and then all of a sudden violently die.
Below are two videos I took of this;

I pulled the clutch assembly apart and the starter clutch was wore to heck.
After a few attempts/purchases to find the right replacement starter clutch I found the starter clutch off of a 2 stroke Zuma was exactly the same as the original. (coincidentally the cylinder is stamped yahmaha)
Once I replaced it with this one it started catching right away as shown in this video;

I had filmed a dissasembly but cant seem to find the video.
I'll try to take a video of that and upload it later this week.

I've been at a dead end for about a year now and hoping to get this back up and running so the lady can get out and enjoy the social distancing via scooter!
Let me know if anyone has any ideas on what the issue could be or any questions.
Thanks in advanced!
The engine dying is an air leak or compression issue which could be piston rings need to be replaced. Starter clutch not sure.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 AM   #5

yes that would be the starter clutch throw out bearing assembly is failing so it drops out the metal to engage starter the then engine is spinning in the same direction so its hitting the bearing from the back it will make noise but when they fall down its ok for a while wont realy damage anything right away but good idea to buy new start clutch they are cheap enough

Old 06-29-2020, 12:03 AM   #6

did you install it backwards?