Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #1

2005 Yamaha Zuma Crankcase crack intake screw

Ok so I ordered a new case, this probably causing major air leak. My instinct is this might not be reasonably repairable. Metal experts, welders? Help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A686E7ED-C758-4ABD-9B4C-B8EE38DC01B1.jpg (16.5 KB, 8 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #2

What exactly is wrong? I looked at the picture but it makes little sense. I don't have a horizontal engine for reference here.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #3

The screw part where you attached the reeds/intake onto the crankcase has a screw hole that the metal has cracked. I can take more pics if that helps.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #4

Your'e aware that those 4 screws that hold the reed cage are only 10Nm in torque, and that cage has to be sealed well or you will have lean issues. You may be able to find a GOOD aluminum welder and have them fix that broken tab, since trying to run it with only 3 screws will not work well. How did that happen anyways?
Old 06-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Your'e aware that those 4 screws that hold the reed cage are only 10Nm in torque, and that cage has to be sealed well or you will have lean issues. You may be able to find a GOOD aluminum welder and have them fix that broken tab, since trying to run it with only 3 screws will not work well. How did that happen anyways?
Yup, air leaks no good with 2 stroke, and yes I’m aware the reed cage and intake boot go there. It happened by torquing down too tight.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:48 AM   #6

well if its new id tell them it came broken and send it back if money is tight and you like doing work you can dril 4 small holes in the center of the case while both piece are together drill 4 holes becareful not to drill thru top or bottom of case and you can use a small tap and dye set https://www.harborfreight.com/carbon...xoC1_gQAvD_BwE after you made the 4 new holes use a good gasket With a gasket sealer and locktite your 4 new little screws in place of the larger one then once you are all done with that just for good measure you can put that bo;t in the broken hole as best you can rough up above the thread area best you can put bolt in after youve done all the above and tighteng the other 3 main bolts and ur 4 new tap and dye bolts you can put some jb weld on top of that old bolt well its in the hole and you will more than good if done as stated