Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 07-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

head light staying on

its been awhile since i have been on sold my scooter 3 years ago . I just picked up a 1996 honda elite 80 scooter that was used from an ocean beach house According to the owner it has been sitting for 6 months so I'm going to go over it fuel wise . I tried to start it but starter is not engaging that I'll have to look into . the one problem I have now I can use some help . installed new battery and after I try to start it the starter won't engage , but when I shut off and remove key the front head light stays on but in a dim amount and wont shut off . Any help on the light trouble would be appreciated . it does have some light rusting on the bottom plates and 2nd person foot tabs . Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

I'm just guessing but it sounds like the headlight is wired directly to the battery & bypassing the headlight switch. Irish
P.S. If it's wired correctly , you might have a bad headlight switch.

Last edited by Irish; 07-31-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

will check that out don't know if owner before me modified anything . I was wondering if there might be a problem with a bad key switch , it is not as bright when key is in off position or is removed compared to when it is in the run position . headlight switch is only high and low beam no off position on it .

Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

Out of curiosity ... I google this problem .... here is a manual for your scooter .. http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Man...ice_Manual.pdf
On page 185 is a schematic for the charging system. I'd be checking the switch and the regulator/rectifier. You may have a bad diode in the regulator back feeding from the battery to the lights. Looks like the manual has good trouble shooting and how to test information. Good luck finding the problem and let us know what you find.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #5

thanks Roscoe will check that out .

Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #6

headlight trouble cleared up on it's own ? Ordered new Voltage Regulator Rectifier just to be safe . I also ordered a 5Pin Racing CDI + Ignition Coil on ebay $14.99 . Can anyone tell me if it will make a difference or did i just waist 15 bucks . I had one of these years ago I remember that when it sat for more than a few days it took awhile to get it running and warmed up after that it started quickly . would that be a choke problem ?
Old 08-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #7

From what I've read and seen on the racing CDIs ... the spark advance is advanced earlier but the same on the upper end of engine rpm. If the scooter starts OK it should work for you. If you feel the engine kicking back when starting it's to far advanced for easy starting. Main thing is they don't limit the rpm like the original CDI.
The racing coil, I don't know if they are any better maybe in some high performance applications they make a difference. I've put them on my scooters but the way I putter along I don't notice any difference. If it starts and goes that's good enough for me. I did do a big bore kit on the 50cc scooter and still working on the bugs in the carburetor on that one.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

Finally got the chance to work on scooter . Headlight trouble cleared up with new battery ? Carburetor needed a good cleaning as it has been sitting for 2 years . I am thinking of adding dr pulley sliding roller weights . Can anyone tell me best size to get as I am a heavy guy and do they really make a difference .