Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 07-08-2015, 12:12 AM   #1

Hit a corner and slid

So I took my brand new TaoTao Quantum for a test drive this evening and was accelerating to hit a left turn and went too far down on my left turn, wheels gave out and the bike slid. I rolled twice and am mostly ok, though my knee hurts

Anyway when I got it home I noticed some white smoke coming from the tailpipe where it meets the exhaust portion. I went around to the left side to find some more damage.

Any suggestions on what this might be? I had just changed the oil, possibly put a little too much so I'm hoping its just extra oil but I'm thinking it could be a blown head gasket.

Edit: The smoke stopped after I tightened the connection on the exhaust where it meets the pipe. I'm guessing it was just exhaust. Seems to be running fine for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150707_225027.jpg (92.2 KB, 9 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #2

You shouldn't just guess at the oil level. For most scooters, the proper way to check is with the scooter on the center stand on level ground. At the oil fill, the cap often has the dip stick integrated. the level is checked by putting the cap into place, but not screwed in.

Too much oil can give problems with excess being sucked up into the air cleaner. (that is if hoses are in place and crankcase venting goes to the air box)

Head gasket should still be good on a new scoot; so not likely, but not impossible either. Who knows what kinds of unseen defects may make their way into something during manufacture... It does happen, but I have doubts about that being the case here.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 07-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

Hey, thank you for the response. It saw some oil was still on the exhaust and was getting heated up by riding, causing the smoke and burning smell. So I drained off some excess oil as well, and the dip stick isn't soaked when I test it. I may drain a little more to keep the level below the textured part of the stick that is meant for measuring, but it seems to be filled a little over that when the scooter is on its stand balanced in the middle.

Neither the right turn signal or hazard is working, I'm guessing this is a turn signal relay problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150710_141602.jpg (92.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20150710_141622.jpg (88.2 KB, 3 views)

Old 07-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #4

Worry about your knee. You can get another scoot.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

I would check your turn signal, running light, and brake light bulbs. If even one is burned or loosened, the blinkers will not work correctly.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.