Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Scooter kicks and bucks

when taking off. Only at low speed, but it kicks like a mule sometimes. I'm new to these things, I've only had it for a couple months. I'm guessing there is a remedy for this. Anyone?

Guess I ought to add some detail! It's a 2005 CF Moto, 250cc with 2500 miles. I have put 400 miles on it since I got it, and it's done this since I bought it. It runs and rides great, just this kicking at low RPM bothers me. I have an extra belt that came with it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #2

What kind of kick? You mean it takes off really fast? If so - that's probably normal for a 250cc.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

Something is slipping and grabbing. I'm told it's the clutch and use more throttle. I want to be able to creep around the parks and beaches, but I can't do it on this, nature of the beast I guess.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Something is slipping and grabbing. I'm told it's the clutch and use more throttle. I want to be able to creep around the parks and beaches, but I can't do it on this, nature of the beast I guess.
Ahh yeah, you can get some lighter springs for the clutch (maybe heavier, research this) and it will change the RPMs at which the clutch engages so you can creep without 'lunging' forward
Old 06-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #5

What you describe definitely sounds like an issue with the centrifugal clutch.
It is actually pretty easy to get at and examine. Take off the belt cover, and use an impact wrench to take the nut off of the (rear) final drive axle. The bell housing will slip off, and you can check the shoes, bell housing, and springs for damage or glazing.

But before you pull the nut off, start the bike and rev the engine to make sure that the bell housing isn't warped.

To put it back on, use a torque wrench while holding the rear brake.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks. I'm out of commission right now with herniated discs and such. Hopefully they'll get me straightened out at the end of the month. It's been pretty smooth lately since the humidity went through the roof after tropical storm Colin passed by. I think it's acting as a lubricant! I really want to get to work on this thing, but for now all I can do is ride it.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Thanks. I'm out of commission right now with herniated discs and such. Hopefully they'll get me straightened out at the end of the month. It's been pretty smooth lately since the humidity went through the roof after tropical storm Colin passed by. I think it's acting as a lubricant! I really want to get to work on this thing, but for now all I can do is ride it.
Great, well keep us updated!