Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 12-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Help please

I have a 2016 Tao Tao Atm50-a1 with 5700 km on it..every time I come to a stop she chokes out and drops fuel on the ground. Thought maybe it was the petcock but I put a new one on and still have the same problem. I'm thinking now that maybe the electric choke is stuck open...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-06-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

I would sooner think, that it's the float in the carburetor, and it's needle valve, allowing your carb to flood. You'll need to remove, disassemble, inspect and clean it.

It doesn't hurt to add a bit of cleaner to your gas occasionally.....and ethanol free gas is a plus in these small engines too.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

Does the carb have one of those rubber diaphragm on the top side (like a Buddy 125) that regulates atmospheric pressures? I freaking hate those style of carbs. The ethanol in the new fuel blends like to warp floats sometimes, and I agree with rks on the disassemble/inspect/clean/rebuild it, just dont disassemble the top side unless you watch a few UTube videos first. I just pay a reputable shop to trouble shoot and rebuild carbs now unless its a 2 stroke scooter. I have fuel injection on all the 4 strokes so I guess Im lucky. I dont have a shop I trust to work on a carb locally.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #4

Here's why. I sold 2 Buddy 125's to the same friend. One for him and one for his girlfriend. He let both of them sit for almost a year straight without any pre-sitting prep work and now they both run like total crap. I have zero interest in learning how to work on those carbs, and if it was me I would be searching for a carb guru. I had a 64 Impala with a 327 double hump Vet option. The carb starting acting wonky one day and slowly got worse. I had no idea how that carb worked and no interest in learning so I found a local hot-rod builder who went thru the carb for $150 and it ran like new afterwords! Worth every penny as far as Im concerned. If you dont have the money to pay someone (or cant find someone) there are a bunch of online resources out there to get you on the right track. Im just lazy.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #5

I went ahead and put a new carb on. The carb that was on it was the stock Tao Tao one. Problem solved thanks everyone.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I would sooner think, that it's the float in the carburetor, and it's needle valve, allowing your carb to flood. You'll need to remove, disassemble, inspect and clean it.

It doesn't hurt to add a bit of cleaner to your gas occasionally.....and ethanol free gas is a plus in these small engines too.
RKS, where do you get ethanol free gas??? Do you get it shipped from Amazon??
Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #7

We have a gas station that we pass on the way to Grandy NC and they sell ethanol free gas, and my wife passes a place on the way to work. I run it in my string trimmer and lawn mower. I keep the scooters moving so they are still on 10% ethanol fuel. I think the Gas Buddy App has the ethanol free stations listed.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider View Post
RKS, where do you get ethanol free gas??? Do you get it shipped from Amazon??
Here ya go.....https://www.pure-gas.org

Pick your state.

I went through the list for my state, checked off all stations within 60 miles of home, and printed off a list of those stations. Carry a copy of it on each of my three motorcycles.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Here ya go.....https://www.pure-gas.org

Pick your state.

I went through the list for my state, checked off all stations within 60 miles of home, and printed off a list of those stations. Carry a copy of it on each of my three motorcycles.
Thanks RKS There is one place 20 min. on the highway from me in Ashland,VA. Have to use a gas can as you can't drive up. With it being like that, I'll prob stick to gas here and add a cap of seafoam once in awhile. An oldtime member of Scootdawg, can't remember his name, told me he adds a cap of Seafoam every tank. I did that for years and no problems with carb.