Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 08-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #1

Electrical/Lightbulb question

Hello guys, i have a rather newbish question here and i just want to make sure all is well with my bike. I have a TaoTao Evo150 and i have the front portion of the bike off now, since i am going to install some LED headlights onto it. Now here is my question, i used my multimeter on the 3 prongs of each of the two headlight bulbs that are in the bike now [the stock bulbs, my LEDS are not in yet], and the white "hi beam" cable and the green "ground" are reading a resistance of 0...meaning they are connected. This also happens if i probe the hi beam and the low beam cables, they read 0 to [any combination does actually]. I have taken the bulbs out and tested them by themselves and they both do the same thing when take out, the harness by itself is fine and has infinite resistance. Is this normal and fixes itself when turned on or are these bulbs really shorted internally? Im assuming there are internally shorted.

And some background info on the bike:
Its upgraded to a 11 pole stator, i did that almost a year ago and it works *perfect*. Now, i rewired the lights as DC and have them set to a relay and turn on with the switch. Part of the reason for that was i eventually wanted to go DC anyways to use LED or HIDS, and also partly because when i ran the bulbs off AC once i did the 11 pole upgrade, they did not light up or were extremely dim. The short if there is one, probably happened way back a year ago...The lights do light up but are rather dim, but do work well enough set to DC [another point towards a short but i want to be sure].

Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads