Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #1

Got "bit" this week

Over the years since I had a scooter, this forum has been a great help to me. On the occasions where I had a serious mechanical problem, there was always somebody to offer some help. Its allowed me to enjoy the fun with a scooter. But this week the fun ended!

Monday morning I was stopped at a traffice light at a significantly busy intersection. The light was changing to yellow as I approached and being in no hurry I slowed gently to stop and watched the passing traffic. The next thing I heard a horrific "bang" and was flung off my scoot at least 10 to 14' off to the side of the road.

I gasped twice trying to figure out what happened and slid myself around to look at what had hit me. The car behind me thought I was going to continue through the changing light and never stopped until after he hit me.

My left arm was seriously strained to the point I wasn't sure if it wasn't broken. I began to take inventory of myself to see what damage I had aquired. I could move my fingers and feet, nothing felt "out of place" and for all intents and purposes, I was pretty lucky.

I knew enough to lay still till help arrived, there were all sorts of witnesses, and many people came over to assist me. Paramedics arrived and checked me over and removed my helmet. I ended up going to 2 hospitals and had 3 cat scans plus an MRI over the next 19 hours.

There is some ligmanet damage to my spine so I'm to wear a neck brace for the next 30 days and get a check-up.

I think the scooter is totaled, and my 2 wheel days are over...But I thank everyone who helped me over the years on this forum. Please be vigilant out-there, its no fun to get "bit".

Thanks again for all the assist's over the years...
Chris

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #2

Been there, done that.
Few years ago, a young woman thought I was going to just blow through a stop sign to beat traffic coming down the road from a traffic light. Apparently it had just changed and so she accelerated. I had just put my feet down and started to turn my head to see if there was traffic coming down the road when she ran into me. Bruised my backside pretty good where the seat backstop slammed into me from the hit. The knuckles on my left hand banged on the hood as I was displaced from the bike, rolled up the windshield then unceremoniously flopped off the roof of her car down to the pavement out in the middle of the road into the path of the now oncoming traffic.Fortunately the traffic was still a ways away and may have seen it happen. And I was wearing all the gear.

Sore as hell for about 4 or 5 days, but x-rays showed nothing was cracked or broken. On me that is, the bike didn't fare quite as well. It sat in my garage for over 3 years before I finally got around to fixing it. But it's my main ride now. Got back on the horse, so to speak on one of my other scoots not too long after getting knocked off like that. No way was I ready to even think about giving up riding. You may find yourself wishing you had a scoot to ride again once you heal up from your forced get off.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 08-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

I wish you the best recovery, and respect your decision either way, but hope to see you on the roads soon. Feel better!
Oil: Mobil1 4T 10w40

Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the consideration guys. Appreciate the kind words. Bandito, you description sounds so accurate to what happened. The only difference was I must have been holding on some as I went forward. I have great respect for your strength to "get back on". I suspect I'm done, I always knew of the risks and now I have taste of how sour things can get. Be safe.
Chris
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Totally sucks to hear about your rearender. It does happen and there really isn't much if anything, that you could have done to avoid it. Heal well and soon.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your accident but I can tell you (from experience) that if you don't ride anymore , you'll miss it & regret your decision. I'm 71yrs old & I've been riding since I was 15yrs old. I can't tell you how many accidents I've had. I was even pronounced dead in a hospital once (Frisbee Hospital in Rochester N.H. ) I've never had a "chargeable accident" There are a lot of A**holes on the road but that's no reason to change your life! Irish
P.S. Just my $.02.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #7

Sorry about your accident and injuries. I know two motorcyclists that have been rear ended at stop lights. Sad that we have to be prepared to drop the bike and run at stop lights if a cager is zoned out or drugged out.