Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

150 quantum

Recently I decided to enter the scooter scene as a way of commuting work, and likely weekend rides. I am seriously looking at a new 150 quantum, but not sure if it would stand up as a dependable transportation means to work every day, which is 13 miles each way, or for a weekend ride probably around 50 miles or so. Has anyone tried these bikes, and how do they perform, and last when properly maintained?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Who makes it? Does the dealer stand behind their products? Do they have good reviews? Service bay on site? Not all China scooters are junk, and the proper amount of care can go along way to keeping them running. Did you look into used Honda's or Yamaha? Someone who knows the brand you are asking about will chime in. Oh, and what part of Va?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #3

Just out side of Roanoke, and the scooter I am thinking about is a tao quantum 150. I have considered the PCX 150, but will go that route after I get comfortable with scooters, that is A lot to risk while getting used to scooters.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #4

The 150cc GY6 based motors are not bad quality, I just dont know to much about Tao Tao's. Someone who knows needs to chime in. I tend to stick to name brands, so Im biased. I've seen some used PCX's for great prices. I think the early PCX is a 125cc and the later models have a 150cc? You doing the safety class to get your M endorsement? I hear they have Honda Groms for the classes now! I have been riding my Adly RT 50cc for work lately, 16 miles each way and pound the miles on it on the weekend. Finally got my Suzuki Burgman 200 back from warranty work but have been enjoying the 50cc's lately.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:56 AM   #5

The Honda's are good bikes, and I do plan to go up in the higher end scooters. As for the class, I have not really decided. I will be getting my class m.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

One my first tour on my Honda BR, I was riding from here in York PA down to Hickory NC. for a CON ride get together, with Ruckus/Grom folk.
I was riding alone, and had no idea of far I could get in a days ride.
I picked Roanoke as my stop over for the night.
There was also another guy going down to CON from TotalRuckus, I did not know, but thought maybe I'd bump into him.
We did get ride a lot miles together that weekend, he has a 150gy6 packed into his
stretched Ruckus.

Anyway, Roanoke is an awesome scooter town.
Me, for myself, after owning and riding a 150 cc china doll, all I'll say, I was glad for having the 250cc motor under me.
Lots of your hills had me barely keeping up to posted speed.

The next day I decide I'm going to ride the 12 oclock knob road down to RT 221
HOLY FREAKING BUCKING BRONCO!!!
That road needs to be listed as a must run, as all scooter lovers in you area should give her a go.
I could not do the speed limit anywhere on it, it was like *hard road mountain climbing, on twister steroids*!!
And then *controlled falling down on twister steroids* on the other side!! The most twisted road I ever rode upon!!
It was freaking killer fun!!

Buy as many CC's as you can afford man. And most definitely take a MC/scooter course, mine saved me a few times now.
Good Luck.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #7

Hey, if you ever want to try a hard mountain for a bike or scooter, try t 116 also known as windy gap. That is the killer, but challenging for anything. 221 is actually no where near the challenge that 116 is. Next your in Roanoke take a trip up 116 towards burnt chimney. That damn road makes large cc motorcycle cry in misery.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

RT 221 was the road I needed to get to, but that 12 Oclock Knob Road was insane.
I did look up Burnt Chimney and if I do roll down that way, I may cruise through there shits and giggles.
You have a lot of great ride roads.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #9

Hey, the road you want to try is route 116. It goes from Roanoke to Burnt Chimney, and it is one hell of a road. Next time you're in Roanoke look it up and give it a try. You won't regret it if you like a challenge.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM View Post
Recently I decided to enter the scooter scene as a way of commuting work, and likely weekend rides. I am seriously looking at a new 150 quantum, but not sure if it would stand up as a dependable transportation means to work every day, which is 13 miles each way, or for a weekend ride probably around 50 miles or so. Has anyone tried these bikes, and how do they perform, and last when properly maintained?

I have a quantum 150 and have almost 400 miles on it, it is holding up fine right now. The motor is a gy6 150 and I have a big bore kit and some other mods on mine. For the price quality and ride is great

I commute about 5 miles one way to work on mine sometime and 40 miles round trip in town too. This is a very nice riding scoot and you won't go wrong with it....

Scott B
Old 09-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #11

RAM, what did you end up getting? Tao Tao are Chinese and considered low quality and pretty unreliable.

I'd recommend a used Honda or Yamaha instead of a new Tao Tao.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #12

A safer choice for an inexpensive 150 scooter would be a Wolf or Bintelli from an authorized dealer. Chinese scooters have come a long way from the low quality days but buying from a shop gives you back up and proper set up. That will give you the best new owner start.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.