Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 05-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

tires in the rain

well I plan on riding year round for commute, pleasure n everything in between. I know ill be riding in the rain and if it snows ill be riding then too. I know on the Harley I had when I had money the dunlops I had were great but what about for my 10" scoot tires what have the community of scoot dawg found? can you get studded tires for snow and ice? what tire seems to displace water to keep your rudder on the road? thanks for sharing your knowledge with me

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

Hi
I like pirellis on my motorbikes
I use these on my Tao Tao which has 10s
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...type%3Dscooter
I use these in 13's for my aprilia
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...type%3Dscooter
Ive found them to give a nice smooth stable ride in all weather conditions
The only thing that keeps me off the road is icy road conditions
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank
Old 05-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #3

ty

Old 05-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #4

My tires are 12", and 6 years old now, so replacements are coming very soon. I'm going to Michelin City Grips myself.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #5

I rode my scoot all through the winter except on days when there was ice and/or snow. Would not recommend riding in ice/snow because it's very easy to lose control and fall, a friend broke his collar bone and bruised some ribs this year when he hit an icy patch and fell.

That being said, I did take mine out in the back alley one snowy day to do a few scooter donuts, but I didn't actually ride it anywhere.

2005 Yamaha BWS (Zuma) "Garfield"
TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, NCY Adjustable Secondary Sliding Sheave, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

+1 for the Michelin City Grips a very good tire in my opinion

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 05-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #7

I went with Michelin City Grips as well. They have this performance pentagon on their web site indicating it should work well in rain.

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/ti...city-grip#perf
Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

Good info. I dumped my bike about a month ago. It wasn't raining, but it had rained. I was coming into a corner and the road was damp. It was also in front of a construction zone, so there may have been sand or oil in with it. The scooter slid right out from under me. Wrecked my favorite jeans. (I say wrecked, but I'm wearing them today ... I just have spots on my knees that match the holes in my denim ) I'd love to put some whitewalls on for looks, but safety is much more important.

I was looking here and sorting by rating. I know nothing about bike tires, so I'd love to hear some more feedback from those of you who do know before I buy.

[edit] LOL! I don't know if it's just me not noticing or the fact that Google is supremely evil, but back on the main page at the top is a Google ad for the Motorcycle Superstore. Thanks, Google for targeted ads.

Hey, look what that idiot said!

Last edited by seamus26; 06-27-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added "Fear of Google" note.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

I ride most of the year also. Ice and snow are horrible. I rode home in the snow once last year. I kept my feet down most of the time and went about 10 mph. Fortunately traffic was gridlocked so there wasn't much threat from other vehicles.

My Kymco came with Cheng Shen tires that seem to do well in wet conditions. I think the most important thing is to slow down a little and be more cautious.

If you're really hard core, I've seen studded snow scooter tires too....
Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #10

What's the rating on my CST china tires on my 2011 AM trike? I have 4,000+ on them so far and the are good in the rain here in S. florida