Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #16

Just ordered two parts from them, will update how the help the clutch out on torque.
Got the torque spring and clutch springs. Will install them next weekend hopefully I don't need to change the variator weights.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #17

A clutch compressor tool makes clutch work really easy. My OEM Honda one is on its last leg, but it still works. And the Honda OEM variator tool (looks like a lolly pop and also holds the clutch bell) is another great tool to have. You could also use a Honda Helix service manual for general information, since the motors are pretty close to the same. Also invest in a decent torque wrench if you dont already have one.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #18

Well I just use an impact wrench when taking off the variator and clutch and putting it back on. Never had a problem with Honda motors and Chinese gy6 motors, but my dad helps me by using brute strength to compress the spring to put the bolt back on.
Like I said I've worked on these motors before just not as big of CC, so of course like any sane person I would ask questions just to make sure I'm not getting ahead of myself.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #19

Tell you a funny story. Way back when I first got into these scooters, I had a 2000 Zuma and a friend had an older Derbi Predator, the liquid cooled one! He was doing some transmission mods and pulled out a air impact wrench to remove the variator nut. Ok, I do that also. Then, he goes to put the same nut back ON with the impact wrench. I ask him if he has a torque wrench and a holding tool and he goes "I do this all the time." and proceeds to tighten the nut. Then SNAP! Off comes the END OF THE CRANK! He ended up junking the scooter after that. So please be careful! I had to put a Genuine Buddy 50cc variator nut back on with a air impact wrench not to long ago because I couldnt get the variator to lock with any holding tool or a strap wrench. A dab of Loc-Tite and on it went. I could have flattened a penny in my butt checks like one of those oceanfront penny presses because I didnt want to break anything. All was fine though.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #20

Well I get the nut on the finger tight then just tap the drill a couple times to make sure it turns but I don't continuously hold it. I've snapped plenty of bolts by wrenching, it's all about not over doing it.
I know I do want to get a second engine and do a complete rebuild to make it unique and better components. It will take me a while due to how expensive it will be. They're inexpensive getting them used, I don't know if I want to raise the compression or customize a turbo on it.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #21

New springs just in.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/u8mbV9WsptgzUxSZA
Old 04-06-2019, 01:52 AM   #22

Just installed the springs. The clutch springs were a pain to get in but they work amazing. It increased the RPMS up about 2k before take off. And for some reason it increased the top end too, I hit 80mph which was crazy. The stock tires are crap so they started making the bike feel shakey, might change out the roller weights depending on how I like this setup. Going to continue riding it and see if I need to go down a gram or two.